Written By: Study Abroad Ambassador, Joel Thornton
- Research, Research, ResearchThis is the first step to studying abroad, and allows you to narrow down what countries and/or schools are right for you. You can never know too much about your future place of study.
- LocationIt is of extreme importance that you choose the place that you want to go to. Do not let anyone (parents, boyfriend/girlfriend, best friend, coach, professor) persuade you from the place you truly want to go. However, it is important to see it from others’ perspectives.
- Credit TransferIt is crucial that you set up a dialogue with your academic advisor so that together you can determine what overseas classes/credits will transfer back to MC.
- Airline TicketsMake sure you purchase your tickets well in advance of the date of departure (5-8 weeks prior should suffice). Usually, the closer you get to the date of departure, the higher the price of the ticket and the lower the chance of getting ideal flight times and seating.
- PackingI highly recommend packing several days in advance (5-7 days) to give yourself adequate time, and so you are not in a panic or rush. It also allows some room for error in case you forgot something important and need to go buy it or order it online.